We discuss the institutional Jewish community’s response to the ongoing migration crisis, in the shadow of the Canadian state’s “None is Too Many” policy during the Second World War. On this episode, we talk about the fight against BDS on Canadian campuses, and try to be more clear about when we’re being sarcastic. We reflect on the Jewish left’s response to recent repression of BDS Quebec, and debate the ethics of not feeding pets on Yom Kippur. Finally, we interviewed Sozan Savehilaghi about No One Is Illegal’s new multimedia project Never Home, as well as Canada’s role in the global crisis of migration.
For more context on the anti-Jewish immigration laws passed during the 1920s and 1930s & how they relate to the present, check out Episode 41: Immigration, Exclusion, and False Apologies. On that episode, we spoke with Syed Hussan about the Canadian government’s upcoming apology for turning away Jews fleeing the Nazis, and how this fits into Canada’s immigration history. We also spoke with Libby Garland (author of ‘After They Closed the Gates: Jewish Illegal Immigration to the United States, 1921-1965’) about how the history of unauthorized Jewish migration can help us better understand the current moment.
Show Notes: Episode 7 – None is Too Many
- BDS-QC “Message important de BDS-Québec : Rassemblement de solidarité annulé
- CJN Janice Arnold – Conservatives decry graphic anti-Israel posters plastered around Montreal
- Forward Nathan Guttman – Back to School With River of Cash To Fight BDS
- CJN Sheri Shefa – Hasbara Hires it’s First Canadian Director
- CJN Paul Lungen – Hillel, CIJA Say Situation on Campus Has Improved for Jewish Students
- CIJA David Cape – Concerned About Campus? So Am I
Institutional Jewish Response to the Crisis of Migration
- CIJA “Refugee Crisis: How you can Help”
- CJN Paul Lungen – CIJA, Jordan co-operate on refugee aid plan
- No One Is Illegal- Vancouver Unceded Coast Salish Territories – Get Facts
- CJN Paul Lungen – Jewish Refugee Advocacy Organization Launches
- JTA Uriel Heilman – Will German Welcome of Refugees come at Jews’ expense?
- New York Post Doree Lewak – I’m Fasting for Yom Kippur, and so are my Dogs!
- The Forward Jay Michaelson – Why This Hasid Was Right To Flip the Bird to Kapparot Protester
Interview with Sozan Savehilaghi