Clifton Nicholas, a Mohawk filmmaker and activist talks about the Oka Crisis. He discusses his fundraising campaign to produce a new film looking back at the uprising in (Kanesatake) 25 years later.
On this episode we talked about the new Amazon Prime show ‘The Man in the High Castle’ and provide some updates on the Canada-Israel Free Trade Agreement. We also tried to parse through the ways North American Jewish communities are talking about the nuclear deal signed by Iran. Finally, we reflect on CIJA’s attempt at a national conversation on Jewish safety and examine legal controversies surrounding the state of ‘J’ dating.
*CORRECTION: In this episode, David mentioned that Black Lives Matter activists shut down the Gardiner Expressway in Toronto but it was actually the Allen.
After listening to this episode about the Oka Crisis, you should also check out Episode 8: The Last Time We’ll Mention #Elexn42, in which we interview Amanda Lickers about the ongoing struggle led by indigenous women against the city of Montreal’s plan to dump massive amounts of sewage into the St. Lawrence River.
‘The Man in the High Castle’
- Canadian Government Israel: Market Access Plan 2015-2017
- Ottawa Citizen David Pugliese – Kenney and Finley Headed to Rheinmetall Canada in Quebec for Canadian Forces Equipment Announcement
- Israel Business News – Canada Buys Iron Dome Radar Technology from Israel
Shalom Life Staff – The Canadian Army is Acquiring Israel’s Iron Dome Technology
- Ipolitics Amanda Connoly – Israel’s Iron Dome Technology to be Adapted for Guelph Smart Grid
‘The Iran Deal’
- Forward Sigal Samuel – Netanyahu’s Speech Makes an Amazing Techno Dance Song
- CJN Shimon Fogel – After the Iran deal, a call for action
- CIJA – Canada is right not to lift Iran sanctions prematurely
- CJN Paul Lungen – Protesters liken Iran deal to 1930s treaty with Hitler
CIJA’s National Conversation on Jewish Safety
- CJN Sheri Shefa – Suspicious Men Spotted in Car Outside Synagogue
- CIJA – What is CIJA Doing to Strengthen Security for the Jewish Community?
YRP – Reports of Suspicious Activity Near Thornhill Synagogue Unfounded
- CIJA – Police Conclude Investigation Into Security Incident at the BAYT Synagogue
- Madeline Smith Globe and Mail – A Call to Action: Black Lives Matter Toronto Continues the Fight Against Racism
- Daniel Koren Shalom Life – Exclusive: JSwipe Founder Opens Up About JDate Lawsuit
- Jewish Journal Adam Wills – “The Jewish King”
D. Interview with Clifton Nicholas
- Indiegogo Fundraiser for ‘In the Long Shadow of the Pines: 25 Years Since Oka’
- Clifton Nicholas – Elsipogtog: No Fracking Way! (2014)
- Clifton Nicholas – Karistatsi Onienre: The Iron Snake (2014)
- APTN Tom Fennario and Jorge Barrera – CSIS Agent Targeted Kanesatake Man Over Greece Trip: Recording
- Gazette Pierre Saint-Arnaud – Group of Innus Block Access to Hydro Quebec Site Near Havre-Saint-Pierre
- RCMP Blocked from Entering Unist’ot’en Camp
- 03 ‘Oka Everywhere’: 25 Years Since The Crisis