We’re joined by Manuel Salamanca Cardona of the Immigrant Workers Center (IWC) to talk about the Fight For 15 campaign to raise the minimum wage for workers regardless of status.
On this episode: we condemn JK Rowling, the Papacy, and David’s cold. We also discuss the dangerous appropriation of #blacklivesmatter by Zionist activists, and contemplate the Jewish media’s treatment of a Jewish Defence League attack on a Buzzfeed reporter. Finally, David gives his shkoyakh to an ex-NDP candidate who recently visited Auschwitz, and Sam applauds the German government for their strong stance against holocaust denialism (by the Prime Minister of Israel).
To avoid confusion,please pronounce the title with a gutteral “kh.”
For additional context on Canada’s role in the the global crisis of migration, listen to Episode 7: None is Too Many, in which we interview Sozan Savehilaghi about No One Is Illegal’s new multimedia project Never Home. Also check out Episode 41: Immigration, Exclusion, and False Apologies, for our interview with Syed Hussan about the Canadian government’s upcoming apology for turning away Jews fleeing the Nazis, and how this fits into Canada’s immigration history. Finally, Episode 34: What the Hell Is Going on in Quebec, provides some background on the continuing rise of Islamophobia in Québec. We spoke with Houda Asal, historian, sociologist, activist, and author of the recent book ‘Se Dire Arabe au Canada.‘ We talked about the history of Anti-Arab racism in Québec, how it relates to Islamophobia, and what we can learn from past migrant struggles against racism.
Show Notes – Episode 9: Half Chai and the Fight for 15
- Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (PACBI)
- Jewish Daily Forward – Pope Francis Meets Jews on 50th Anniversary of Nostra Aetate
- Guardian – JK Rowling Explains Refusal to Join Cultural Boycott of Israel
News 1- #Israeli Lives Matter
- Black-Palestinian Solidarity “When I See Them I See Us”
- Twitter – Sara Freedman
- Mondoweiss – St. Louis Jews call on ADL to cancel honor to police
News 2 – JDL
- Anti-Israel Activism Criminalized in the Land of Charlie Hebdo and “Free Speech”
- BuzzFeed News Reporter Assaulted At Rally Of Jewish Extremists In Paris
- The Canadian Jewish News – Genesis of the Violence Rooted in a Bald-Faced Lie
- Southern Poverty Law Center – Jewish Defense League
- Twitter-The Canadian Jewish News
- CBC – Alex Johnstone, NDP candidate, travels to Auschwitz
- Globe and Mail – If Canada chooses a ‘balanced’ approach, it will become rudderless in the Middle East
- Mondoweiss – Despite global disgust, Netanyahu doubles down on claim that Hitler got idea of Final Solution from a Palestinian
- Jacobin – Netanyahu’s attempt to shift the burden of Nazi atrocities to Palestinians is nothing new
- Guardian – Germany refuses to accept Netanyahu’s claim Palestinian inspired Holocaust