Erika Davis, who runs the blog Black Gay and Jewish, talks about the work she’s doing to fight racism in the Jewish community with the Jewish Multiracial Network.
On this episode, we talk about the Montreal businessman being called the ‘Jewish Schindler’ and break our promise to stop talking about the Canadian election. We reflect on the legacy of Montreal’s Yom Kippur Ball and try to get to the bottom of an instance of vandalism at an Illinois Chabbad Centre.
If you want to read more about Anti-Blackness within Jewish communities and efforts to confront it, listen to Short: Jews for Black Lives with Shoshana Brown, which includes a discussion about the Institutional Jewish Community’s condemnation of the Movement for Black Lives and Jews for Racial and Economic Justice (JFREJ)’s weekly ‘Jews for Black Lives’ actions across New York City. You could also check out our suite of episodes on Anti-Semitism: Episode 34: White Jews, Whiteness, and Anti-Semitism and Episode 36: Understanding Anti-Semitism.
Show Notes: Episode 5- Trying to Fight Racism in the Jewish Community
- How to Listen to a Podcast with Ira and Mary
- Washington Post Roberto Ferdman – The Story Behind the Funniest Email Hillary Clinton Has Ever Sent
- Forward Jane Eisner – The Full Transcript of Forward Editor-In-Chief’s Interview With Obama
Steve Maman vs the Yazidi Community
- JTA – Montreal Businessman Buys Freedom for 128 ISIS Sex Slaves
- CJN Elias Levy – Q&A Steve Manan: ‘Jewish Schindler’ Saves Girls From ISIS
- Vice Rachel Browne – Yazidi Leaders Want Proof ‘Jewish Schindler’ Saved 128 Women and Children from Islamic State
- CJN Janice Arnold – Montrealer Defends Hostage Rescue Efforts Against Yazidi Critics
Jewish Community and Electoral Politics Pt II
- The Walrus Jonathan Kay – Jew v Jew v Jew v Jew v Jew v Jew
- CJN Shimon Fogel and David Cape – Community Needs Unity, Not Uniformity
- Gazette Michael Hollander – As A Jew, I’m Offended at Being Treated Like a One-Issue Voter
- Rebecca Margolis – Jewish Roots, Canadian Soil: Yiddish Cultural Life in Montreal, 1905 – 1945
- Kenyon Zimmer – Immigrants Against the State: Yiddish and Italian Anarchism in America
- Interactive Museum of Jewish Montreal – Jewish Anarchists and the Long Lost Yom Kippur Ball of Montreal
- News Gazette Nicole Lafond – Police: Accused Vandal Wanted Menorah as Gift
- News Gazette Nicole Lafond – Repair, Replacement Ahead for Menorah at Illini Chabbad